Funeral report for the late Gladys Murphy The funeral was held on 29th April 2009, for the late Gladys Murphy née Robinson, who died 15th April aged 85 years. Gladys was born on 13th April 1924 at Malkin’s Bank, Sandbach. She attended Wheelock School until her father was transferred to Wallerscote Work’s after Malkin’s Bank Works closed. She attended Winnington Park School where she won a prize for perfect attendance for the five years she was there. She worked at the Winnington Hall Club until, at the age of 16, she joined the ATS giving her age as 18. She served as a cook for over five years from mid 1940 to December 1945. She married Vin Murphy also from Winnington, on 30th November 1949, settling at first in Barnton before moving to The Crescent, Leftwich, then Cuddington and two homes in Hartford. On resuming civilian employment she was manageress of Worthy’s Sweet Shop near Dane Bridge until her son Timothy was born in 1955. Her later jobs were as a cash register operator in ICI canteens, a dental receptionist and finally in the Distribution Department at Brunner House from which she retired in 1979 as a planner/allocater for Rock Salt. She enjoyed holidays, firstly at Butlin’s where she won the Individual Ladies Bowls Trophy one year and later Majorca. Her real love was for Cruising, her first being in 1966 then annually from 1984. She had been preparing for and looking forward to her next cruise in May. She was much a family person, devoted to her husband the late Vin, son and daughter-in-law Tim & Christine and grandchildren Alison & Ben. The funeral service and committal, conducted by Rev George Agar, were held at Walton Lea Crematorium. Family flowers and donations for St Luke’s (Cheshire) Hospice were received. Arrangements by George Bell Funeral Service, Northwich.